I love baking my own cookies, as is evidenced by the many cookie recipes on this blog, but there are some mass-produced cookies that I find very hard to pass up on and those are the Subway cookies! There’s something about them that’s just irresistible, so whenever I get a sandwich at Subway, I usually end up leaving with at least one of their cookies too.
One of my favourites is their white chocolate chip macadamia cookies, which is a bit weird, since I’m not a fan of white chocolate. The combination with macadamia nuts is so good, though, so after my latest trip to Subway (this post isn’t sponsored by the way lol), I felt inspired to create a recipe of my own featuring that combination. I decided not to go for the obvious cookie route, but took the blondie route instead. And they came out tasting delicious!
These blondies taste best when they’re completely cooled down – when they were still warm, the sweetness was a bit too overpowering. And it’s fine to make them a few days in advance; in fact, I thought they tasted even better after a couple of days!
You’ll need… (for 20 blondies)
- 120 g unsalted butter
- 150 g white chocolate
- 150 g light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavouring
- 175 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 120 g macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- 50 g white chocolate chips (or coarsely chopped white chocolate)
- a baking tin (mine is 20 x 24 cm)
- parchment paper (optional – you could just grease and butter your tin)
- and an oven, of course! These blondies need to be baked at 170 °C (don’t forget to preheat your oven!)
So, let’s get baking!
1. Melt butter and white chocolate Put the butter and the white chocolate together in a sauce pan and melt it over low heat on the stove while stirring.
2. Mix together butter/chocolate and sugar When the butter and white chocolate are melted, take the sauce pan off the stove and let it cool for a little bit (only 2 or 3 minutes). Put the sugar in a large bowl, and add the butter/chocolate mixture to it. Mix it together with a wooden spoon or a whisk. It won’t really get evenly mixed, but that’s okay, because that’ll get fixed later.
3. Add eggs and vanilla flavouring Add the eggs to the mixture and mix them through. Also add the vanilla flavouring and mix it all together until you’ve got a nice and smooth mixture. The eggs will make sure everything is now evenly mixed.
4. Add flour, baking powder, and salt Now you have to add the flour and the baking powder. If either are particularly lumpy I recommend sieving it above the bowl (especially the baking powder – I always sieve that). Also add the salt and mix it all through until the mixture is nice and smooth again.
5. Add macadamia nuts and white chocolate chips Lastly, chop your macadamia nuts into rough pieces, and add them as well as the white chocolate chips to the batter and mix all of it through.
6. Bake! Line your baking tin with parchment paper and transfer the batter into the tin. Make sure it’s evenly spread out to the edges. Then, place it in your preheated oven and bake the blondie for 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
And that’s it! You’ve got your own white chocolate chip macadamia blondies! Enjoy!