A couple of months ago I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies as part of my Cookie Rookie project (which I never really finished). They tasted okay, but I wasn’t entirely happy with them. Not with the way they tasted and also not with the way they looked. So that meant I still didn’t have my own delicious chocolate chip cookie recipe, and I think every baker has (or should have) one of those. There’s a reason why it’s one of the most loved cookies there is, you know.
When my parents came back from their holiday they brought me a few packets of chocolate chips, and on Friday the time was finally there for me to once more try and find the perfect chocolate chip cookie. I based this recipe on the hazelnut coconut cookies I made a few weeks back because I thought their texture was really nice. I also added hazelnuts to the chocolate chip mix, because hazelnuts make everything better. That’s just a fact of life. Except if you’ve got a nut allergy. Then hazelnuts really suck.
Anyway. These cookies turned out really delicious, and I’ve finally got a good chocolate chip cookie recipe! Yay!
You’ll need… (for 25 cookies)
– 125 g butter (at room temperature)
– 160 g light brown caster sugar
– 1 egg
– 1½ teaspoon vanilla flavouring
– 225 g plain flour
– a pinch of salt
– 160 g chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate)
– 60 g hazelnuts, chopped
– parchment paper
– baking tray
– and an oven of course! These cookies need to be baked at 180 °C (don’t forget to preheat your oven!)
So, let’s get baking!
1. Mix butter and sugar The first thing you have to do is mix the butter with the caster sugar in a large bowl. I used an electric mixer with the dough hooks for this, but you could also use a whisk or a fork.
2. Add egg, vanilla flavouring, salt and flour Next up, you add the egg and the vanilla flavouring to the butter-sugar mixture and mix again until it’s all combined. Then you add the salt and sieve the flour above the bowl (preferably in parts) and mix it all together. You’ll have quite a solid dough by now.
3. Add hazelnuts and chocolate chips Now it’s time to add your chopped hazelnuts and the chocolate chips to the mixture and mix once again.
4. Divide the dough over the tray and bake! Your dough is all done by now, so it’s time to bake these delicious cookies. Make little balls of dough with your hands, place them on your baking tray (which you’ve lined with parchment paper) and press them down just a little bit. These cookies will spread out a little when they bake, so leave enough room between them. Once that’s done, put the tray in your preheated oven and bake for 13-14 minutes or until the cookies turn golden brown around the edges.
And that’s it, there’s your delicious chocolate chip hazelnut cookie! Enjoy!