It’s my birthday today! I’m turning 24, which seems like the perfect occasion to finally go ahead with this post, which I stole from Cathy of 746 Books. A while back, she made a list of her favourite books from every year she’s been alive. I loved that idea, so I’ve done the same!
Below is a list of 25 books: the best books of 1993 to 2017. I say “best” books, but there were a few years, especially at the beginning, for which I didn’t have much choice. Apparently, the only book published in 1993 I’ve read (according to Goodreads) is Kiss by Jill Mansell – I don’t even remember that one. But years like 2012 or 2015 were really tough! There’s so many good books to choose from! Also, apparently Rainbow Rowell’s Fangirl and Eleanor & Park were published in the same year? That’s a fun fact for ya.
Anyway, I really enjoyed making this list; it was fun to look back on all the books I’ve read on the eve of my birthday (I’m writing this on the 6th – shhh). I hope to read many, many more!
Do you spot any of your favourites on this list?
- 1993: Kiss by Jill Mansell
- 1994: Playing for the Ashes by Elizabeth George
- 1995: Northern Lights by Philip Pullman
- 1996: Bridget Jones’s Diary by Helen Fielding
- 1997: Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone by J.K. Rowling
- 1998: Chocolat by Joanne Harris
- 1999: Timbuktu by Paul Auster
- 2000: The Heart of Redness by Zakes Mda
- 2001: The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
- 2002: In Her Shoes by Jennifer Weiner
- 2003: We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
- 2004: My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult
- 2005: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- 2006: Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel
- 2007: Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares
- 2008: Paper Towns by John Green
- 2009: One Day by David Nicholls
- 2010: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
- 2011: Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
- 2012: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
- 2013: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
- 2014: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
- 2015: Winter by Marissa Meyer
- 2016: The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater
- 2017: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
That was fun! Which book would you definitely want to put on your list, and from what year is it? Let me know in the comments below!
9 thoughts on “A Book For Every Year Of My Life”
Thanks you for the reading inspiration you always give!
You’re welcome, Anonymous Mum!
Super fun idea!!!!!
Thanks! I stole it from Cathy, really, but it was tons of fun to do! 🙂
Lovely bookish post. Happy birthday!
Thank you very much, Marje! 😀
This is such a fun idea!!!! Happy birthday!!! Hope it’s been lovely! Lots of favorites on your list: The Raven King, Fangirl, Harry Potter, Northern Lights. I’ve always wanted to read Chocolat because I really enjoyed the movie.
Thank you so much, Morgan! 😀 I loooved Chocolat! The atmosphere of that book is just amazing – I think I liked it more than the film, although it’s been a while since I’ve seen it.
Ooh that makes me really want to read it because I love the film!