Hello book lovers and/or baking enthusiasts, and welcome to my blog!
I’m Anne, I’m 28 years old and I live in Groningen (a city in the northern part of the Netherlands) where I’ve been born and raised and am now working in a lovely bookshop. I love books, baking and writing, so in 2013 I decided to start this blog – it’s all pretty straight forward over here on Books Baking and Blogging.
My all-time favourite books are Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë, The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster and Words in Deep Blue by Cath Crowley, which was a cover buy but ended up touching my very soul. I also have a very special place in my heart for Matilda by Roald Dahl and my favourite series is the Wayfarers series by Becky Chambers. Other favourites include Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz, The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, A Different Drummer by William Melvin Kelley and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. Oh, and I’m also deeply in love with Maggie Stiefvater’s The Raven Cycle.
I could go on like this for a while, but let’s skip to the baking part.
I can’t remember when I started to bake (more regularly than baking cookies with my mother once a year, that is). I vaguely remember buying my first baking book but was I already baking by then? Is that when I started baking? Did I leave it on my shelf for ages before using it? That sounds like me, but who can tell? In any case, baking has become sort of therapeutic for me. If I’m stressed it calms me down to make something from scratch and just focus on that instead of my problems. The eating part helps too.
On this blog, you’ll find recipes for all kinds of baked goodies as well as book reviews and other bookish posts and occasionally some random ramblings about my life.
Random Rapid-Fire Favourites
- TV show: Friends! Also Gilmore Girls, Parenthood, Queer Eye, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, New Girl and Jane the Virgin
- Film: La La Land
- Colour: Red
- Song: Romeo & Juliet – Dire Straits, All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version) – Taylor Swift
- Instrument: Guitar! I play acoustic myself, but electric guitar music can make my heart hurt (but in a good way – like books)
- Game: The Sims 4
- Word: Mittens (don’t ask me why – I don’t know)
- Authors: Angie Thomas, Emily Brontë, Paul Auster, John Green, Becky Chambers, Benjamin Alire Sáenz, Jill Mansell
- Genres: Fantasy, Contemporary, YA, Science Fiction, other books that are cool
- Food: Pizza, always pizza
- Bakes: Muffins and brownies