On Friday, it was World Nutella Day (don’t ask me why I know these things…) so I was inspired to bake something with everyone’s favourite hazelnut spread! It ended up being a cookie pie – something I’d never made before but that’s always seemed like a great idea to try sometime. I was right! When I posted a picture of the end result on my Instagram stories, I got a lot of reactions that featured one or more heart-eyes emojis. It seems like I’m not the only one who likes the sound of a cookie pie!
So, you might be wondering, what exactly is a cookie pie? It’s quite simple: it’s a cookie in the shape of a pie. In other words: a huge cookie. What’s not to love? This rendition consists of my favourite chocolate chip cookie dough with a layer of Nutella in the middle. I also added chocolate M&Ms on top because I thought it’d look fun (and I was right). You could also just use additional chocolate chips, though. Or you could go for M&Ms throughout the entire recipe, instead of chocolate chips – it’s all good.
I always thought you needed a skillet to make a cookie pie, because that’s what I saw other people use, but you can just as easily use a baking tin or a springform tin – which is a great discovery. I predict this won’t be the last cookie pie I make!
- 125 g butter (softened)
- 160 g light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavouring
- 225 g plain flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 50 g dark chocolate chips + a handful extra for the top (you can also use M&Ms here, like I did)
- 100 g Nutella (or a hazelnut cocoa spread of your choosing)
- parchment paper
- 18-20 cm diameter baking tin / springform tin / skillet (no bigger than that, or you won’t have enough dough)
- and an oven, of course! This cookie pie needs to be baked at 180 °C (don’t forget to preheat your oven!)
So, let’s get baking!
1. Mix butter and sugar together Take a large bowl and mix the softened butter and light brown sugar together using a (wooden) spoon or a mixer with dough hooks.
2. Add egg and vanilla Once the butter and sugar are nicely combined, add the egg and the teaspoon of vanilla flavouring and mix it all together.
3. Add flour, baking soda and salt Next up, add the dry ingredients: the flour, baking soda and salt, sieving the flour before adding it. Mix it all through, still using either a spoon or a mixer. I used a wooden spoon and it took some elbow grease, but it worked fine!
4. Divide dough into two halves and add chocolate chips to one half Now, divide the dough into two halves, putting aside one part of the dough for later. Add the chocolate chips to the other half and mix them through.
5. Transfer chocolate chip dough to baking tin Line your baking tin with parchment paper and then transfer the dough with the chocolate chips to the tin. Use a spoon or your fingers to press it into the bottom of the tin, making sure it’s evenly divided.
6. Spread Nutella over cookie dough layer To make things easier for yourself, microwave the Nutella for 30 seconds to a minute to make it more spreadable. Then add it on top of the chocolate chip dough and spread it out using a spoon.
7. Add second layer of dough and extra chocolate chips This is (potentially) the messiest part of the process: adding the second layer of dough. Make sure the ball of dough is already more or less in the shape of a disc the size of the baking tin and drape it on top of the Nutella layer, pressing it down slightly. It should cover the entire layer, but it’s alright if there are still small bits of Nutella visible. As a finishing touch, press the remaining chocolate chips or M&Ms into the dough.
8. Bake! It’s time to bake the cookie pie! Place it into your preheated oven and bake it for 25 minutes. Once it’s done, take the tin out of the oven and let the pie cool on a cooling rack for about 15 minutes before removing the tin. You can serve the pie while it’s still warm (it’ll still be slightly soft and gooey on the inside), but it will taste just as tasty when it’s cold (I actually prefer it cold!).
And that’s it! You’ve got your own chocolate chip and Nutella cookie pie – enjoy!
11 thoughts on “Recipe: Chocolate Chip Nutella Cookie Pie”
Looks absolutely delicious!
Thank you, it really was! 😀
ohhhh this looks good!
Thank you! 😀
I’m so glad Nutella got its own day! The cake looks tasty and like lots of fun!
Nutella is the best, isn’t it? Thank you! 😀
YUmmm Looks very tasty!😀🙁
Thank you!! 😀
My bad 🙂😇* these emojis
Looks so yum!
Thank you! It was delicious 😀