It’s May! It doesn’t feel like it though. April’s been pretty cold – we’ve actually had snow up here a couple of times! I’m confident that will get better this month, though. As you’re reading this I am on holiday in France, which I expect will be just what I need. I’ll continue writing my dissertation, so it’s not all fun and games, but we’ll be only a few meters away from the beach, and the beach is my happy place, so I can’t wait! I won’t have any internet, though, so this’ll be the only thing you’ll here from me for a little while.
May’s going to be a busy month – I’ll be finishing my dissertation (although I’m not all that confident about that actually happening in time…) which will be taking up the majority of my time. I’m not sure how much I’ll be able to post, but I’m going to do my best and I’ll definitely be updating Twitter, so you can follow me on there, if you like (/shameless self promotion).
Anyway, on with the recap!
Read this Month
I initially picked up The Dream Killer of Paris because of its cover, and when the blurb sounded faintly interesting as well, I decided to buy it. It was sort of fun, I guess? Pretty creepy and some interesting ideas about surrealism, but the detective side of the novel was badly executed, I thought.
The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson was provided to me by NetGalley and I really enjoyed it! Sometimes it was a bit too sweet or teenager-y for me, but all in all I thought it was a very good story.
Ah, The Lunar Chronicles… I finally read Fairest, and I loved it. Levana is such an interesting villain! I’m planning on reading Winter in France this week and I cannot wait. So excited for it!
Reviewed this Month
- I read The Selection by Kiera Cass for my dissertation and wasn’t extremely impressed by it – it was enjoyable, though!
- Ash by Malinda Lo was another book I read for my dissertation – same story: it was alright but not amazing.
- Over the past two months I reread quite a few books, so last week I posted some reread mini-reviews.
Baked this Month
- Early in April (or possibly late in March) I made a tiramisu with speculaas. It was delicious!
- And then there was another chocolate-y bake this month: Rolo Sea Salt Brownies. They were amazing.
Other Posts this Month
Only one other post this month, but it was a pretty good one, I think (and pretty long too): Where are all the YA parents at?
And that was it for this month! If you want to stay up to date with what’s going on with me, you can follow me on Twitter and Instagram. I’d love to have a chat with you on there! Or down here in the comments, of course. I hope you all had a great month!